Just a psa from all us wives to all football fans. No matter what game you watch or whose team you cheer for.
- Coaches are real people. Their wife and kids are probably sitting next to you in the stands. Or they’re watching the same live stream you are. They can see/hear your comments about their father/husband. The same man who spends 60-80 hours a week away from them in order to entertain you.
- Refs are also image bearers of God.
- These kids are highschool students who play because they love it. And also to entertain you.
- Your time in highschool does not qualify you to be a coach on the field. If you disagree, you can make an appointment with the HC to get your plays in the playbook. (Or to schedule an interview.)
- Your happiness is not dependent on the score of the game.
I know this year has been so hard due to COVID. For a lot of us, football has been the only normal we have. And we tend to take our frustrations out on our normals and what we know.
Remember the coaches and players are going through the same pandemic and unknowns as you. They are often the same teachers you preach about giving grace to.
Remember coaches want to win, and make every effort to do so.
Remember coaches spend hours upon hours at practice and watching film. They usually have thought of every scenario and can see what will happen before you do.
Remember you can always volunteer to help with the team or make an appointment with the coaches to implement your plays. 😏
Remember while it may feel good to shout your opinion or type it on your phone, these are real people who you are talking about, with real families and children who are listening. (I have lost a few friends over what they’ve said about our coaching staff.)